If you’re looking to get a hunting licence in British Columbia, this is the course for you. Successful completion of the Conservation and Outdoor Recreation Education (CORE) course is a Provincial requirement to obtain a Fish & Wildlife ID (FWID). This FWID number is needed to purchase hunting licenses, tags or apply for Limited entry Hunting in BC.
Designed with the novice outdoor enthusiast in mind, our BC Wildlife Federation (BCWF) approved CORE course (and optional online preparation course) covers everything from hunting regulations and animal identification to the safe handling of Non-restricted firearms (long guns). Our hunter education program gives you the best preparation possible for the Provincial hunters exam which is administered on day 2. The exam includes a 80 question multiple-choice test and a practical firearms handling test.
This course includes
- Outdoor ethics and game care.
- Firearm handling and archery equipment.
- Hunting regulations.
- Animals of British Columbia.
- Birds of British Columbia.
- Outdoor survival, first aid and field craft
- Hunter heritage, conservation and wildlife management.
- Indigenous Peoples & Hunting in B.C.
- How to use the Hunting and Trapping Regulation Synopsis.
- BCWF Registration Form.
- Written and practical examinations.
- Only $195 CAD + tax (includes exam).
Exemption from the practical test
If you have already taken the CFSC you can be exempted from the practical examination of the CORE, but you must be able to supply your CFSC Course Report as proof, without this you will be required to complete the practical examination. Please note that a valid PAL (gun license) is NOT accepted as proof for exemption for the practical test as per BCWF regulations.
Are you looking for a gift certificate for a family member or friend? Head to our online shop to purchase one today.
Silvercore is approved and recognized by Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC)
Anyone over the age of 16 who takes a course with Silvercore which either enables them to work or improves their skills in a recognized occupation may be eligible to claim their course fees under the education and textbook tax credits. Contact us for your T2022A tax form and check out Canada Revenue for further information.
When safety and performance are paramount ©
- Age 10+ (written consent from parent/legal guardian required for minors)
- 1 piece of government issued photo ID
- Writing material (pen & paper)
- Valid CFSC Course Report for exemption of practical test (see exemption details in “Overview” on this page).
Q: What do I need to prepare for the course?
Below are some study materials to help you prepare for your class. Keep in mind, these are not required to be printed off or completed prior to your class, but included in case you need it as a resource.
- CORE Hunter Education Online Course– This is optional and not a requirement prior to your course.
- BC Hunting & Trapping Regulations Synopsis– The Hunting & Trapping Regulations Synopsis is crucial in being an informed hunter in British Columbia. This synopsis is available (Silvercore provides one for use in class) and recommended to use during a students CORE examination. It is also something we recommended students familiarize themselves with to ensure a safe and legal hunt.
Q: Do you offer the CORE course Combined with the CFSC / PAL course?
No. This practice is frowned upon by the BCWF. Additionally, the RCMP has clear policies against combining the CFSC/CRFSC with other courses, such as the CORE Hunter Education Course. If a PAL course and CORE course were to be instructed/tested on overlapping days, there would be a risk that your paperwork/license could be deemed invalid, even at a later time. Silvercore therefore refrains from this practice.
Q: What mark do I need to pass the exam?
In order to pass the written portion of the exam you will need at least a score of 60 out of a possible 80 or at least 75%. You will need at least a score of 21 out of a possible 27 to pass the practical firearms handling examination.
Q: How soon will I find out if I have passed?
The CORE Examiner will advise you right away if you have passed or failed and if you pass you will receive proof of that with a BC Wildlife Registration Form.
Q: How do I get my Fish & Wildlife ID (FWID)?
If you pass, you will receive your BCWF Registration form which you can either mail into the BCWF or walk into their office during their regular business hours and pay a $30.00 fee to obtain a certificate of completion.
With that certificate of completion, you can go into a Service BC to have them set your FWID up for you. Or you can go onto the BC government website here and create a Basic BCeID to set up your FWID. This can take a couple business days to have completed as they need to verify your ID online (you’ll need to upload one piece of government-issued photo ID.
There is no fee to set up a FWID and this allows you to purchase hunting tags and apply for Limited Entry Hunting.
|CORE Hunter Education||Silvercore Training Facility||Hunting & Outdoor||198575|
|CORE Hunter Education||Silvercore Training Facility||Hunting & Outdoor||200245|
|CORE Hunter Education||Croatian Cultural Centre||Hunting & Outdoor||204407|
|CORE Hunter Education||Silvercore Training Facility||Hunting & Outdoor||204417|
|CORE Hunter Education||Silvercore Training Facility||Hunting & Outdoor||204557|