When it comes to protecting yourself from wilderness predators the handgun should not be your first choice, but in some cases it may be your only choice. In order to qualify for a Wilderness ATC, you must score 15 hits out of 18 rounds fired for each shooting position using the firearm you are seeking authorization on. You must use the retention holster and ammunition that you would be using in the field.
All authorizations that are issued are done so at the discretion of the RCMP CFP and it is your responsibility to ensure you meet all eligibility requirements.
What you will learn
- Firearm and ammunition familiarization and selection
- Holster selection
- Laws and regulations pertaining to carrying a handgun in the woods
- Proper marksmanship techniques in high stress situations
- Shoot / Don't Shoot decision making
- Engaging multiple targets
- Engaging targets from varying distances
- Proper drawing and holstering techniques in high stress situations
- Practical firearms training
- Only $250 CAD + tax (ammo extra)
If successful, you will receive
- A certificate of attendance outlining all topics covered for your employer (Federal firearms training school).
- ATC forms to send to the CFP
Wilderness Authorization to Carry permits are issued by the Chief Firearms Officer for the jurisdiction in which it is valid under heavy restrictions. If you are at all confused or uncertain regarding the restrictions and requirements, please call the CFO at 1-800-731-4000 ext 9530. All authorizations will be issued with a condition specifying the work activity for which it is valid. If issued, you will be required to report all firearms discharges and the circumstances thereof.
Silvercore's training is approved and recognized through HRDC
Anyone over the age of 16 who takes a course with Silvercore which either enables them to work or improves their skills in a recognized occupation may be eligible to claim their course fees under the education and textbook tax credits. Contact us for your T2022A tax form and check out Canada Revenue for further information.
Silvercore's instructor cadre has extensive experience in the outdoor industry, law enforcement, security, military and/or competitive shooting to better help you achieve your goals. Our instructors are members of the International Association of Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors and hold active certifications through various police agencies.
WHEN SAFETY AND PERFORMANCE ARE PARAMOUNT ©
- A valid RPAL
- Proof of valid employment
- Read and accept Silvercore Advanced Training System’s Refund Policy.
- Handgun (Student must test on their personal field pistol).
- 3 or more magazines (or 3 speed loaders for revolvers).
- Rigid, sturdy belt (a proper gun belt is best).
- Belt holster that covers the trigger guard. The holster must be a retention holster, or have at least one strap with a snap closure that securely retains the firearm. Not suitable: inside the waistband holsters and any shoulder or cross-draw style holsters.
- Minimum of 2 magazine pouches.
- Minimum of 200 rounds of ammunition (no steel jackets).
- Minimum calibre accepted for wilderness protection is .357 Magnum.
- Supporting shoe with good traction
- Baseball cap
- Shirt / jacket should be form fitting at torso and cuffs as to not snag the equipment.
- No loose collars as stray brass can get stuck down your shirt.
- Pants should allow ample movement.
- Closed toe shoes that allow rapid moving and turning
Personal safety equipment
- Quality wraparound shooting glasses (mandatory)
- Hearing protection. (mandatory)
- Any required personal safety equipment (knee pads, wrist brace, etc.)
- Any medication as required (inhaler, epi pen, etc.)
Silvercore can provide courtesy safety gear, if advanced notice is given. Ammunition can also be purchased through Silvercore.