This is a 1 day Bear Defence shotgun course, geared towards the average outdoorsman/woman. Silvercore has partnered with James Gary Shelton in the design of this wildlife defence program. Shelton's bestselling books have become the authoritative text on bear behaviour and how to survive a bear attack. His works have become essential reading for those who work in parks, forestry or anyone who plans to venture into the wild on a recreational basis. Safety is paramount, all of our instruction is done by federally certified firearms instructors and our instructor to student ratio exceeds government standards.
The course includes
- An in-depth look at bear protection devices
- Bear psychology
- Bear and bear sign identification
- Wildlife avoidance and encounter strategies
- Firearm and ammunition familiarization and selection
- Practical firearm training
Students are expected to supply their own firearm, ammunition, accessories and personal safety equipment.
What you will receive
- A certificate of attendance outlining all topics covered for your employer and records from Silvercore (a federal firearms training school).
- A course book outlining all the major teaching points for your future reference.
- $395 + tax
Are you looking for a gift certificate for a family member or friend? Head to our online shop to purchase one today.
Many students take the Online Bear & Wildlife Defence Course in conjunction with their in-person course to compliment their overall training.
Silvercore is approved and recognized by Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC)
Anyone over the age of 16 who takes a course with Silvercore which either enables them to work or improves their skills in a recognized occupation may be eligible to claim their course fees under the education and textbook tax credits. Contact us for your T2022A tax form and check out Canada Revenue for further information.
Silvercore's instructor cadre has extensive experience in the outdoor industry, law enforcement, security, military and/or competitive shooting to better help you achieve your goals. Our instructors are members of the International Association of Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors and hold active certifications through various police agencies.
For corporate and government clients
Silvercore also offers a 2-day Professional Bear Defence course geared towards people working in bear country. The 2-day Professional course goes into greater detail on the subjects above and is geared towards demonstrating complete due diligence from a business standpoint and includes certification. Please visit the Corporate/Government section of our website for more information, or contact us today for a quote.
- A valid Non-Restricted PAL – Your PAL # must be provided when registering.
(Exceptions may be made for active Law Enforcement Officers, please contact our office for details)
- Shotgun, recommended: Pump Action (12 gauge only)
- 2 point sling (required)
- 100 rounds of 7 1/2 Bird Shot
- 10 rounds of 00 Buck Shot
- 25 slugs
- Dress for the weather conditions
- Supporting shoe with good traction
- Baseball cap
- Shirt / jacket should be form fitting at torso and cuffs as to not snag the equipment.
- No loose collars as stray brass can get stuck down your shirt.
- Pants should allow ample movement.
Personal safety equipment
- Quality wraparound shooting glasses (mandatory)
- Hearing protection. (mandatory)
Vancouver Island Courses
- Due to range restrictions, all Bear Defence courses on Vancouver Island will have use of only Slugs.
- 60-70 slugs required. These must be Low Recoil and Low Energy.
Please note that neither firearm rentals nor ammunition are provided for any live fire courses and students will be required to bring their own equipment.
Sorry, there are currently no upcoming classes scheduled for this course. Sign up our waiting list to receive email notification when course is available, or contact us for more information.